Thursday, November 4, 2010

How to Go Viral With Your Videos

So I came across this really great article on Mashable the other day (via Twitter…it’s an addiction, I swear!) that discussed the 3 things a video needs in order for it to go viral. Off the top of my head, a perfect example of it a video gone viral would have to be the Old Spice ones that’s been circulating just recently. Or the HALO video that I put up in one of my earlier blog posts.

But what is it about videos like these that make it so epically…viral? Well, according to the article, the 3 main things you need for video success are:

1) Psychological share motivation, which was further broken down into three subcategories: emotions (tug the heartstrings), identity and self expression (clear message), and information (self explanatory).

2) Easy shareability (also self explanatory. I always look for “share” buttons when I see a particularly cool video online, Youtube, in my opinion, is fantastic for its easy shareability).

3) Data-driven strategy (obviously, you should know which sites generates the most traffic, at which time, and for which target audience etc etc before you launch your video.

Though these traits may be obvious to y'all, you may be surprised to see how effective these small reminders can be for people who are looking to launch a successful video.

And obviously, one can’t make a blog post about great viral videos without actually posting one. So…here’s one that I particularly liked from the article:

For further information (or just access to the article), click here.

No comments: